QUICKBOOKS ONLINE VS. DESKTOP:
How do you decide?
How do you decide?
QuickBooks Desktop has been helping businesses grow since the early 1990’s. As it has been around longer than QuickBooks Online, it has more features and is a more powerful accounting tool, particularly when managing large amounts of inventory and job costing.
There are many gaps in the features of QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop. The best way to find out what is the right version for your business is to look at the features that QuickBooks Desktop has and what QuickBooks Online does not. Then ask youself “Is there anything there that I can’t live without?”
If you can, QuickBooks Online is for you. However, if there is something in QuickBooks Desktop that you need, see if there is an Online app available. If there is, ask yourself these two questions: will it work in this country and what is the cost? If there is a negative on either of these points, use the desktop version.
If you still can’t find the right answer, consult with either your accountant or bookkeeper.
COMPARING QUICKBOOKS ONLINE TO THE QUICKBOOKS DESKTOP VERSIONS
If you are wondering which product best suits your needs, read this article for it gives you a comparison between QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks desktop.
ADVANTAGES OF USING QUICKBOOKS ONLINE OVER DESKTOP VERSIONS
- Anytime anywhere access vs. remote access. Unlike desktop’s remote access, multiple users can access their data at the same time, with no need to set up a network with QuickBooks Online. Aside from that, the software is priced at a low monthly fee versus desktop remote access for Kshs 47,800.00 (for a single-user version of QuickBooks Premier, which is required for remote access).
- Multiple-user access at fraction of Pro 5-Pack cost. With QuickBooks Online, multiple people (up to 25) can access up-to-date information simultaneously. It also enables collaboration as multiple users can access data and view the most updated data together real-time. Pro-5 Pack costs Kshs 112,600.00 incl. VAT which requires a network server and significant amount of setup time versus QuickBooks Online which is billed only on a low monthly fee with a 15 minute set-up.
- QBO upgrades are free. That’s right! There is no need to purchase newer version. All new features are automatically pushed out!
- Support is at no additional cost. QuickBooks Online support is available during regular business hours free-of-charge (Online Support ONLY). Support for QuickBooks desktop starts at Kshs 8,750.00 per 3 hour session.
On the other hand, QuickBooks Online like any other softwares, also has it’s limitations. Below are some of it’s limitations:
QUICKBOOKS ONLINE PRODUCT LIMITATIONS
- Doesn’t integrate with Point of Sale.
- Doesn’t integrate with Online Bill Pay.
- Doesn’t do complete job costing (but does track expenses by customer).
- Less flexibility with regard to customizing forms or reports.
If you are a current QuickBooks desktop user, you will also want to review Why some data doesn’t come over from QuickBooks desktop, which will further explain any limitations to converting your data.